8 ways to keep lungs healthy in winter
The incidence of respiratory diseases increases in winter. People with weak immune systems get sick more often. The most important part of the respiratory system is the lungs.
In winter, colds and viral infections can easily lead to pneumonia in the lungs. There is also the risk of other problems. Therefore, there is a need for increased awareness of lung protection in winter. Here are eight ways to keep lungs healthy in winter.
keep lungs healthy in winter
* Breathe through the nose: You can breathe through the nose instead of the mouth to avoid cold air entering the lungs. Breathing through the nose gives the air more time to warm up. If the lungs get warm air, the tendency to get sick is reduced.
* Wear a scarf/facemask: Cold weather can upset the respiratory system. Cover your face with a scarf or wear a facemask to protect your lungs. This will warm the air before it enters the lungs. This will reduce the effect of cold air on the lungs.
* Be aware of your lifestyle: Studies have shown that cold air weakens the immune system. Cold air increases the risk of pneumonia, bronchitis, and flu. Increase awareness of winter lung protection lifestyles, such as wearing winter clothing, using a facemask, staying away from people with symptoms of respiratory infections, and getting a flu shot.
* Avoid outdoor exercise: Exercising outdoors in severe winters can do more harm than good. Cold air can have a negative effect on the lungs and increase the risk of respiratory infections. Cold air can reduce body temperature and increase the risk of hypothermia. Cold can increase blood pressure, which can lead to heart and blood vessel diseases. You can buy a treadmill or take a gym membership to exercise at home.
* Avoid Air Pollution: The risk of air pollution in winter cannot be ignored either. Several studies have linked air pollution to respiratory symptoms, heart disease, vascular disease, and premature death. Air pollution can worsen respiratory diseases. Anti-pollution masks can be worn to avoid the effects of air pollution on the lungs.
* Eat fruits and vegetables: To protect the lungs in winter, eat nutrient-rich foods, especially fruits and vegetables. Studies have shown that the Mediterranean diet is best for the lungs. The Mediterranean diet is dominated by fresh fruits, vegetables, whole grains, nuts, seeds, beans, olive oil, and fish. The diet includes moderate amounts of poultry, eggs, cheese, and yogurt, and occasionally red meat and sweets.
• Eat protein-rich foods: According to nutrition experts, protein is an important nutrient in overall lung health. Protein strengthens the muscles that expand our lungs during deep breathing. By eating enough protein, you can easily take deep breaths. Two great sources of protein are beans and nuts.
* Reduce salt: The importance of reducing salt in food in winter is more than in other seasons. According to doctors, eating too much salt causes the body to swell and accumulate fluid, causing the lungs to overwork and weaken. Health experts advise not to buy food with more than 500 mg of salt. According to the American Heart Association, no more than 2,300 milligrams of salt should be consumed daily.
Read More on
Top 8 ways to keep healthy lungs in winter
- Don’t Smoke. Smoking is the number one cause of lung disease and contributes strongly to COPD and lung cancer. …
- Exercise Regularly. …
- Breathe Clean Air. …
- Wash Your Hands Regularly. …
- Stay Up to Date on Vaccines. …
- Eat the Right Foods For Lung Health. …
- Do Breathing Exercises.
- Avoid exercising outdoors on bad air days.
- Avoid exercising near high-traffic areas.
- Check Airnow.gov to find out the daily air conditions in your area.
- Don’t burn wood or trash.
- Do Steam Therapy. Breathe in, breathe out. …
- Drink Green Tea. Cleaning your lungs may be as simple as sipping hot tea—green tea, specifically. …
- Invest in an Air Purifier. One way to clean your lungs is to first clean the air you breathe. …
- Exercise Regularly. …
- Eat Anti-Inflammatory Foods.
healthy lungs food,
how to keep lungs healthy naturally,
10 ways to take care of respiratory system,
what are 5 ways to keep your respiratory system healthy,
signs of healthy lungs,
weak lungs symptoms,
why is it important to have healthy lungs,
what can damage your lungs,